Scientific journals Web of Science
List of Journals of WoS
Catalog of journals Web of Science
What is Web of Science
Web of Science, known as Web of Knowledge at the time of its creation, is a website that groups several databases containing information on citation of scientific journals in the natural sciences, medicine, engineering and humanities. Totally, the database provides information in 256 academic disciplines.
Initially, the database was created and developed by Thomson Reuters, but in 2016 it came under the control of Clarivae Analytics.
In the Web of Science, you can find:
- Full-text articles;
- Reviews and reports;
- Annotations to articles;
- Technical literature.
It is important to note that WoS is a conglomerate consisting of several databases combined on one platform, including:
- Web of Science Core Collection - the main source of bibliographic information and scientometric indicators;
- Russian Science Citation Index - containing information on the citation of Russian scientists;
- KCI-Korean Journal Database - containing information on the citation of Korean scientists;
- Social Sciences Citation Index - citation index for social sciences;
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index - a database containing information about conference materials, etc.
Features of WoS
Along with alternative databases, it serves as a source of information about:
- The most important achievements of world science, without the study of which it is impossible to take the next step in research;
- Reputable and respected scientific journals, promotes the dissemination of information about scientific progress;
- Demand and performance of a scientist, a research group or a research institute.
What information can be found on the WoS platform
- Publications on a topic of interest;
- Full-text articles (only if the journal is in the public domain);
- The latest printed papers on topics of interest;
- List of the most cited publications on the topic;
- List of the most read publications;
- Find a suitable journal to publish your research paper;
- Find publications of your organization, etc.
The official website of the Web of Science
The site contains basic information about WoS in English. Here you can get acquainted with the indexes presented in the database, understand the structure and advantages of this citation system, learn more about the Web of Science Core collection.
In addition, you can access the database on the site by creating a free account on the Publons resource.
What is the quartile of WoS journal
A quartile is an indicator that determines the quality of a scientific journal included in the WoS and Scopus databases. All journals included in citation systems are compared with each other and fall into one of four possible quartiles depens on quality and impact of research.
Quality is assessed on the basis of citation indicators. The higher they are, the higher the quartile will be assigned to the journal.
The most prestigious journals with a high rating are assigned the first quartile - Q1. An example of such a journal from the list of journals is the journal Logos and the journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Quartile Q2 is the second most authoritative. While second-quartile journals are not the best of the best, they are still very much respected in their scientific fields. Examples include Neuroscience and Actual Problems of Theory and History of Art.
Third Quartile Q3 is assigned to mid-range magazines. An example from Russian journals, this quartile is in the Questions of Cognitive Linguistics.
The last of the possible quartiles - Q4 - goes to journals that are outsiders in comparing with the best academic journals of the world. However, they still have a fairly high level of papers, and have a chance to rise to the quartile of a higher category.
Requirements for Web of Science Journals
In order for a journal to be included in a prestigious international citation system, it must meet a number of requirements:
- Timeliness of the issues, so a journal should be published regularly;
- Compliance with editorial convection standards;
- Mandatory presence of annotations in English. Despite the fact that there are many journals in the WoS that publish full-text articles in other languages, priority is given to periodicals printed in English when the journal is included in the system;
- Expert assessment of published articles.
How do you know if a journal is included in the Web of Science?
Over 500 Russian scientific journals from various fields of knowledge can be found in WoS. Since 2015, the Russian Science Citation Index has also been taken into account in the system. Thus, the journals included by the RSCI should also be presented in the Web of Science.
If you have doubts about a particular journal, use the search and check the presence of the journal in the system. This can be done by following the link mjl.clarivate.com. In addition, you can use our catalog, which contains information about which citation systems are included in this or that publication.
List of journals included in the Web of Science
In order to get acquainted with the list of international journals included in the list of Web of Science, you can use our catalog, register directly on the WoS website and use filters to find the desired scientific journal.