Scientific journals of the Higher Attestation Commission (VAK)
List of academic journals of the Higher Attestation Commission
Catalog of VAK journals
Fundamental and Applied Research of the Cooperative Sector of the Economy
Bulletin of the Russian University of Cooperation
What is the Higher Attestation Commission?
The Higher Attestation Commission under the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation is a government agancy that oversees awarding of advanced academic degrees. Due to translation differences, sometimes it is translated as the State Supreme Certification Commission or other similar variation; the common Cyrillic-based acronym of VAK remains a constant with all versions.
Responsibilities of the Higher Attestation Commission (VAK):
- Provides the Ministry of Education and Science with expert opinions and recommendations on the programs and lists of candidate exams and the award of academic degrees;
- Draws up a list of peer-reviewed scientific journals suitable for publication of the results of scientific dissertations;
- Gives recommendations on dissertation councils;
- Participates in the creation of legislative acts on the award of academic degrees.
The history of the creation of the Higher Attestation Commission (VAK)
In its present form, VAK has existed since 1992, but since then it has come under the jurisdiction of another division and a change in name.
However, the Attestation Commission was created back in the USSR period, in 1932. A country with colossal variation in academic level needed a government body to standardize the requirements for degree seekers.
Before the creation of the Higher Attestation Commission, there was no body in the country capable of assessing dissertations. In the Russian Empire, degrees were awarded directly at universities, and after the revolution of 1917 and up to the creation of the Higher Attestation Commission, they were completely abolished.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the VAK was revived in 1992. Analogues of the Attestation Commission are present in many countries in the post-Soviet space, including Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan and others.
Official website of the Higher Attestation Commission
On the official website of the Higher Attestation Commission, you can find contact information, as well as:
- basic information about the Higher Attestation Commission - current regulations, news, composition of the commission and recommendations;
- information about expert and dissertation councils;
- familiarize yourself with the new model of scientific attestation;
- find the answer to your question in the Questions section;
- read the announcements of upcoming scientific dissertation defence.
Requirements for VAK journals
In order for a journal to be included in the list of recommended journals of the Higher Attestation Commission, it must meet a number of requirements. Let's take a look at them:
It is the review of the article by a highly qualified specialist that guarantees the quality of the published academic papers. In international journals, a double-blind peer review system is widespread, which ensures the impartiality and impartiality of the reviewer.
According to the requirements, a journal applying for memeberhip of the VAK List must be published at least 8 times a year.
Registration in the Russian Science Citation Index
The journal must be registered in the Russian Science Citation Index and provide data on published papers within three months. Particular attention should be paid to the observance of the citation rules and the compilation of bibliographic lists.
Information about the journal should be located either on the website of the journal or on the website of the founder. Among the data required to provide are information about the editorial board, requirements for publications, application process and reviewing rules.
In the event that a journal, previously included in the list, has ceased to comply with the above rules, it is excluded from the list. The status can be restored only three years after expulsion on a general basis.
Standard requirements for scientific articles in VAK journals
Despite the fact that the requirements for academic articles may vary depending on the journal, a number of features can be distinguished that characterize an article suitable for a journal included in the VAK list:
- A clear structure, the presence of a title, a brief annotation, a list of keywords, a list of used literature, the information about the author;
- The volume of the article is up to 10 pages of A4 format;
- The main text is subdivided into introduction, research data, conclusions;
- Scientific way of information presentation;
- Correctly formatted links.
Urgent publication in VAK journals
Unfortunately, there are no urgent publications in the VAK journals. It is impossible today to realize the need for publication, and in a week to be the happy owner of the journal issue with your published article. Keep in mind that the submitted paper can be returned for revision, and the reviewer will ask you to make a number of edits that may require additional time and, in some cases, additional experiments.
To publish a scientific work in a journal from in the list of journals of the Higher Attestation Commission, follow the simple instructions:
- Find the right journal. To do this, either use the search, or select a journal in our catalog;
- Read the requirements for articles and prepare your paper accordingly;
- Depending on the publication, pay the publication fee;
- Submit your article;
- If necessary, make the changes recommended by the reviewers.
List of the most famous academic journals of the Higher Attestation Commission 2020-2021
Biological communication. International journal of the Higher Attestation Commission, founded by St. Petersburg State University. Until 2018, it was called the Bulletin of St. Petersburg University. Series 3 - Biology. It publishes scientific papers on most fields of biology in English. It is included in the RSCI and Scopus.
Consilium Medicum, also known as the Medical Consilium, is a journal covering news of medical sciences, including research in the field of endocrinology, pulmonology, surgery, rheumatology, etc. It is published since 1999 and designed for doctors and students of medical universities.
Genesis: Historical Research
Genesis: Historical Research. This is a polydisciplinary journal, which publishes papers not only on historical, but also on legal sciences, as well as cultural studies and archeology.
International Journal of Open Information Technologies
International Journal of Open Information Technologies publish articles in the physics, mathematics and engineering sciences. The journal’s pages contain articles on mathematical programming, discrete mathematics, systems analysis, etc.
Litera is an electronic journal called Philological Research until 2014. It contains articles on Russian literature, journalism, folklore, theory and history of culture and the study of language groups.